Use Kerry’s famous Annascaul Black pudding for these bonbons.
Serves 4 as a starter
200g Annascaul Black pudding black pudding
1 green eating apple, coarsely grated
50g plain flour
2 free range eggs beaten
100g fresh white breadcrumbs
vegetable or sunflower oil for deep frying
For the rhubarb compote
4 sticks rhubarb
50 g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp finely chopped basil
1. To make the compote, finely slice the rhubarb and place into a heavy based saucepan. Place on a medium heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb is soft. Allow to cool and stir through the chopped basil.
2. Place the black pudding into a bowl and soften with a fork. Add the grated apple. Using slightly dampened hands roll the pudding into 12 even sized balls.
3. Break the eggs into a shallow dish and lightly beat them together. Tip flour onto plate and season with salt and black pepper, on to another plate. Tip the breadcrumbs onto a large plate.
4. Dip each ball of pudding, first into the flour, then the beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs ensuring they are well-coated.
5. Deep fry the bonbons in hot oil until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the rhubarb compote.