Use any mixture of seafood from our directory of fish producers for this seafood pie. You can make the filling and mashed potato a few hours in advance and chill them, then assemble the pie before baking.
800g mixed seafood (pre cooked mussels, prawns or cockles and small fillet of cod, haddock or hake)
1kg rooster potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
Pinch of sea salt
80g butter, plus a little extra for topping
75g plain flour
4 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
60g grated Béal cheese
1. Place the fillets of fish and shellfish in a wide-based saucepan or frying pan and cover with the milk. Place the pan on a low heat and let the milk come to a simmer. Cook for 4 mins and remove the pan from the heat. Cool.
2. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil over a high heat. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain and leave to dry for 4 mins. Put them back in the pan and mash. Add a knob of butter and season.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas6.
4. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a non-stick pan. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Gently cook the paste for 3 mins, leave to cool for 1 minute, then whisk in one third of the milk from the fish. Slowly whisk in the remaining milk until smooth. Simmer the sauce over a gentle heat for 5 mins. Season and add the parsley.
5. Flake the cooked fish into the bottom of a pie dish and pour the sauce over. Top with mashed potato and grated cheese and dot with small knobs of butter. Bake for 25 mins or until the potato is golden and the filling is bubbling.